Thursday, January 6, 2011

Athletes in Film: Lee Trevino

Today is the start of a series of posts I'll be doing dedicated to my favorite appearances by athletes in major motion pictures.  And keep in mind these are MY favorites, so I won't be including every one that I know of, just the ones I love the most (sorry rabid fans of Gheorghe Muresan in My Giantbut he missed the cut).
And today's point of focus, professional golfer Lee Trevino in Happy Gilmore.
It's hard to believe that Lee makes only the second best cameo in this film (big ups to Bob "Badass" Barker), because his part is so subtly hilarious.  Somehow while uttering only a single line, the timeless "Grizzly Adams did have a beard," Trevino still managed to burn his performance into my memory using his mastery of the art of the disapproving head shake.  Yeah, for those of you who don't know who the great Lee Trevino is, he's that guy.  The one who continually pops up to show his dismay with that silly misfit Happy Gilmore.  It may seem like a small part, but you can bet your balls Chi Chi Rodriguez couldn't have handled that shit!... Sorry, I just really like Lee Trevino.
So props to you Mr. Trevino, you are officially a double threat, and a real contender for the "Best Athlete in a Movie" Oscar to be won in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment