Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Pure. Marketing. Genius.

"So I have this idea, I'm going to open a mattress store and offer discount prices lower than any other retailer in town..."
"That's a great idea man, seems like a real money maker."
"My only problem though, is I need to come up with a logo appealing enough that it will stay with people and make them want to come check out the store."
"How about an unforgettably terrifying cartoon rendering of you as a nightmarish, bloodthirsty ventriloquist dummy?"
"PERFECT!"
 One year later...

I passed this billboard today, and after recovering from the initial shock of almost crashing my car, and then dabbing up the sprinkle of pee that had escaped my loins, I had to stop and think... What the shit went on in this marketing meeting?!
I mean I've heard the idea of making your ads as memorable as possible, but this seems to do that while casually brushing off the fact that I am unlikely to purchase my mattress from a murderous puppet who will undoubtedly take my peaceful slumber as an opportunity to strangle the life out of me.
That's all I want to say. I'm afraid if I expand on it any further I'll be dealing with some serious night terrors.

1 comment:

  1. you're ignoring the fact that they clearly included "God Bless America" on the billboard, specifically to evade criticisms like yours.

    by association, hating this billboard means you hate America, freedom, and psychopathic cartoon dummies that will haunt your dreams for years to come.

    ReplyDelete